Gregg S. Berkowitz, MD, FAAOS
Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon
Dr. Gregg S. Berkowitz is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon and Secretary/Treasurer at Advanced Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Institute in Freehold, New Jersey. Dr. Berkowitz takes pride in providing orthopedic care using the latest techniques with an emphasis on personalized, compassionate care. His interests include arthroscopic and minimally invasive surgery of the knee, shoulder and ankle, as well as the treatment of fractures, total joint replacement, and general orthopedic problems. Dr. Berkowitz has a particular interest in cartilage injuries, and is the director of the Cartilage Restoration Center of New Jersey (CRC), a division of Advanced Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Institute, PC. The CRC is devoted to the treatment of cartilaginous injuries and damage to the knee and other joints. Dr. Berkowitz utilizes the latest techniques in cartilage repair to eliminate pain, and return his patients to full activity. He frequently attends educational seminars to stay up to date on the latest treatments that will benefit his patients.
Dr. Berkowitz completed his undergraduate education at Binghamton University, and then earned his M.D. degree at the SUNY Upstate Medical Center in Syracuse, New York. He completed his residency in Orthopedic Surgery at Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn, New York, before coming to Freehold New Jersey.
Dr. Berkowitz is board certified by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery, and is a fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. He is a professional member of the Medical Society of New Jersey, the New Jersey Orthopedic Society, and the Monmouth County Medical Society.
Dr. Berkowitz is on staff at CentraState Medical Center and Raritan Bay Medical Center, Old Bridge Division. He was the secretary/treasurer of the Medical Staff of CentraState Medical Center and a member of the Board of Trustees from 2007-2008. He served as Chairman of Orthopedic Surgery for four years. Dr. Berkowitz has a faculty appointment on the teaching staff of the Family Medicine Residency program at CentraState Medical Center. He was voted Physician of the Year by the nursing staff at CentraState Medical Center in 2006.
A devoted family man, Dr. Berkowitz enjoys spending time with his wife Pamela and his three children Alyssa, Andrew and Chase. His activities outside of orthopedics and family include basketball, golf, skiing and snowboarding. In addition, he is committed to a healthy lifestyle and participates in fitness training and yoga.
- Sports Medicine, including: Shoulder, Elbow, Hip, Knee, Foot/Ankle
- Total Joint Replacement
- Cartilage Repair and Restoration
- Adult and Pediatric Fracture Care
- Arthroscopic Shoulder, Knee and Ankle Surgery
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) and Stem Cell Injections
- Foot and Ankle Surgery
Education and Training
College Education: State University of New York – Binghamton, NY – BA
Medical Education: SUNY Health Science Center – Syracuse, NY – MD
Internship: State University of New York Downstate Medical Center – Brooklyn, NY – General Surgery
Residency: State University of New York Downstate Medical Center – Brooklyn, NY – Orthopedic Surgery
Cartilage Restoration Center of NJ – Director
- Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation
- Osteochondral Autograft
- Osteochondral Allograft
- DeNovo NT
- NJ Top Docs, 2014
- Physician of the Year – CentraState Medical Center 2006
- Secretary/Treasurer, Advanced Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Institute, PC
- Director, Cartilage Restoration Center of New Jersey
- Secretary, Medical Staff of CentraState Medical Center, 2007-2008
- Member, Board of Trustees, CentraState Medical Center, 2007-2008
- Past Chairman of Orthopedic Surgery, CSMC (2 terms)
- Voted “Physician of the Year” by nursing staff of CSMC, 2006 for dedication and quality of patient care.
- Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery
- Faculty Member, Family Medicine Residency Program at CSMC
- Saint John Vianney High School